VLS App Download Instructions
1. Download the free “Survey123 for ArcGIS” mobile app from the iTunes, Google Play, Amazon or Windows app store.
2. Go to https://www.arcgis.com/home/createaccount.html to create a free public account for ArcGIS online. If you have an account already, you can use that existing login. Make sure you log in to the mobile app before proceeding to the next step.
3. Once you have the app installed and created an account, Click on this link to open up the survey https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/e543f836a1dd428eb2e5a19c0d6cc2a1?open=menu
Or on the QR code attached to this email. You may get a message about free accounts not being able to download public surveys. This is a glitch, so try clicking on the link again directly from an email. They will be given a choice to open the survey in a web browser or field app. I prefer they use the App, however, the data is the same if the web browser is used.
4. Once your form is in the mobile app, you will have the ability to start entering data. You can enter whatever sections you choose but the minimum is the Contact Info, Location Details, and Geographic Coordinates
5. There are several required data items relating to who and where of the data collection. You can’t submit (green check mark in bottom right corner) until those are completed.
The online survey has the following sections:
Contact Info – This section is required and includes fields for basic contact information
Location Details – This section also contains some required fields such as Municipality and Date/time of cleanup
Geographic Coordinates – You can use your mobile device’s internal GPS to gather coordinates, or you can type in Lat/Long. Having an accurate location is a key component to using this program to see the geographic distribution of Litter Survey Sites. You can also upload photos in this section.
Clean Communities Statistical Report: Cleanup Details Use this section to record details that are commonly reported on the Clean Communities Statistical report including pounds of litter, pounds of recyclables, and number of volunteers
Information about the area around your site – Use this section to describe the area around your survey site. Rural, Waterway, Industrial characterizations can all be recorded here along with specific building types like post offices, schools, or shopping centers.
Long Form Litter Survey Results – The entire matrix of options on the long form are included in this section. It is recommended that a paper tally sheet is kept and these results should not be entered while in the field.
Short Form Litter Survey Results – The entire matrix of options on the short form are included in this section. It is recommended that a paper tally sheet is kept and these results should not be entered while in the field.