Every municipal and county Clean Communities Program must incorporate a litter cleanup element into their program. This program may contain one or more of the following types of cleanup events:
- “Adopt-a-” Program (Adopt-a-Road, Adopt-a-Park, Adopt-a-Lot, etc.)
- Mini-Grant Program
- One Day Cleanup Event
- Alternate Labor (Inmate Cleanup)
Below are links and documents to help coordinators incorporate these programs as part of their cleanup initiatives.
Keep in mind the following tips for a successful cleanup program:
- Enlist the help of others including youth programs, church groups, police, community development corporations, and public officials.
- Match your cleanup location to the age and ability of your participants, i.e. do not have young children cleaning a busy road.
- Make sure you have enough supplies (gloves, bags) for everyone.
- Hold a short meeting before the cleanup so that everyone knows the safety rules and what is expected of them.