Business and Nonprofit Initiatives
Clean Business Association (South Plainfield)
The South Plainfield Clean Business Association is a network of volunteers dedicated to creating and maintaining an attractive environment in the borough’s commercial and industrial areas.
Members pledge to follow the Clean Business Association Standards which are:
To Promote and maintain an attractive, clean, safe, and environmentally sound business area, members agree to:
- Provide and maintain litter containers and waste disposal bins.
- Keep place of business free of obstructions and free of litter.
- Keep sidewalks, street frontage, alleys, parking lots, backyards, loading/uploading areas free of litter and debris.
- Ensure that delivery vehicles are loaded and covered properly so that the contents do not leak or fall out onto the roadway or other public areas; provide a litter bag in the cab for the driver’s use.
- Provide and maintain a receptacle near store exits for depositing shopping flyers.
- Weed, mow grass, clean up dead leaves and tree branches, and dispose of them properly.
- Enhance landscaping by trimming and maintaining trees and shrubs and when appropriate, planting new trees and shrubs.
- Keep and maintain property consistently on a year-round basis.
Association members also participate in South Plainfield’s annual Volunteer Litter Clean-up Week.
Members receive a decal that identifies them as a Clean Business Association member. Annual Glitter Awards are provided to recognize a business that has improved its appearance. A Glitter Award sign is place in front of the award-winner’s business and a press release is sent to the media.
The cleaner a property is, the less likely people are to litter so please consider the following suggestions for a litter-free work environment
Best Practices For Businesses:
- Place adequate number of receptacles (garbage & recycling) in parking lots as well as inside and outside all building entrances. Use covered trash containers to eliminate trash from spilling or blowing out.
- Establish a regular schedule for emptying trash and recycling containers rather than emptying them on an ‘as needed’ basis.
- Establish smoking areas with appropriate cigarette butt receptacles for employees and customers.
- Remember to locate recycling and trash containers next to each other; label them with proper wording and pictures.
- Ensure roll-offs have adequate storage for quantity of waste generated between pickups.
- Educate employees, especially maintenance staff, that litter is not acceptable and should be picked up.
- Have employees conduct a Litter Cleanup Program in and around the property and post pictures in company newsletter or on website. Don’t forget trapped litter around fence lines.
- Prohibit dissemination of fliers on windshields.
- Provide receptacles at drive up windows before window, in shopping cart areas and parking lots.
- Don’t forget to prevent litter from fleet vehicles too:
- Require tarps on any vehicles transporting materials
- Instruct drivers to pick up materials that have fallen off their load
- Add litter bags to all company vehicles
- Empty trash and recycling containers regularly!
- Provide adequate number of receptacles (garbage & recycling)
COMPANIES DOING IT RIGHT!!
Covanta’s Annual Cleanup in Newark
WM’s Annual Cleanup in Elizabeth